Sunday, April 11, 2010

Crazy KC weekend....


Saturday, my girlfriends and I headed north to Kansas City to celebrate Mischelyn and Melinda's birthdays!

First stop...the Plaza! Can't have a girls weekend without a little shopping right?
The only thing I was looking for was a pair of turquoise heels or sandals to wear with lots of my summer dresses. One of the first shoe stores we passed had a pair in the window calling my name! HA! I went in to try them on and they fit great and looked FAB! After shopping the afternoon on the Plaza, they were the only ones I ever saw so I went back and got them! They were the only thing I bought! YEA!

Cute, huh?!

OK, I will stop talking about my shoes. ;) Onto the weekend events, right?!
And boy did we experience an event or two this weekend.
We started our evening by having a drink at Skies, the revolving bar atop the Hyatt Regency...

Cheers!!!

Then we had dinner at Houston's Restaurant. After leaving we planned to check out a couple other places on the Plaza. However, when we were walking out we noticed police cars EVERYWHERE, a police chopper with a spotlight shining around on the streets and hoards of young "thug" kids gathered around the street corners. NOT the normal scene for the Plaza. The Plaza is a very upscale shopping area in Kansas City, not ever considered a bad area of town. However, it looked like something out of a movie or scenes from the LA riots. No kidding here people. Apparently, the cops had some trouble with juveniles "congregating" and fighting nearby. The crowds of troubled teens and tweens were between 500-1,000 being maced and running around all over. We found ourselves at one point scared and trying to run away from whatever was going on. Luckily, we stopped and talked with a very nice policeman who escorted us to a safe area and we hopped in a cab and got out of there FAST! As with my visits to the Plaza in the past, I hopefully won't encounter that situation again! Whew.

click the link below to see the video news report...

http://www.fox4kc.com/videobeta/962fd742-dad3-4ec6-9115-5907bab3defb/News/Crowds-Out-of-Control-on-the-Plaza

So we checked out the Power and Light District and enjoyed walking around and people watching in their open air music venue.


The weather was awesome and the P&L district area was really cool. But when midnight struck, I felt like Cinderella and headed back to the hotel to recover from the night's "excitement".

We headed back home shortly after having a yummy breakfast at Chubby's Sunday morning. Though our crazy encounters in KC were not over. Along Hwy 71 just south of KC, there was a car that had caught on fire and had traffic blocked northbound...

I was so happy to return home to my family after seeing and experiencing some unexpected and crazy things. However, we actually did manage to have a fun time together! ;)

Happy Birthday Mischelyn and Melinda!

No comments: