Saturday, September 11, 2010

Where were you on September 11, 2001?


Today marks the 9th anniversary of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center and Pentagon.
Where were you on September 11th?

For me, I was in Memphis staying in a hotel during my Series 7 cram course class. I had just a few minutes before class started so I turned on the TV to watch a little news before going downstairs to class. It was then I saw it, the falling of the World Trade Center. It was unbelievably hard to imagine it could happen. I then went down to the lobby of the hotel and everyone was gathered around the TV....just watching in shock. It was hard for all of us to continue on with our class. I had flown to Memphis but all airports were still shut down so I had to catch a ride back to Northwest Arkansas with a coworker who had driven there. The crazy thing was that Jim and I had plane tickets to NYC for Sept. 17th, a planned celebration for our one year anniversary and me passing my Series 7 exam. We delayed our trip by 6 weeks and kept our plans to go to NYC.

Here are some pictures I took of Ground Zero just weeks after the attack...

A black and white pic of a mural nearby Ground Zero

Flowers, flags, poems, pictures of the missing hanging outside the fence of Trinity Church


Along the edge of the WTC site....crews working....and the site was still smoldering with smoke

Jim and I still enjoyed that trip to NYC, though different from our first the year before on our honeymoon. It was truly amazing to see it all in person, read all the tributes along the walls, feel the emotion of all the people of NYC. People were glad to see us, as tourists, not afraid to visit the city after the tragedy. We took a dinner cruise one night along the Hudson River. You could see the lights of the crews working on cleaning up the WTC site. The wreckage still smoldering six weeks after the attack. Jim and I along with a group on the cruise, watched quietly as we passed the site on the boat, then the Statue of Liberty right behind us. Someone started singing, "God Bless America" and the whole boat started singing along. As cheesy as it may sound, it was quite moving to be where we were...seeing it in front of us and feeling the overwhelming sadness for those that died in such a horrific tragedy.

Never forget 9/11


No comments: